Roundup Recipes is a new weekly look at recipes from our local viewers. The feature will be completely reader submitted. Everyone loves food and Millions take pride in it from a family of one to a large family of craziness. Roundup Recipes will give local people the opportunity to share their family favorites with readers of the Roundup. You can send your recipes to be considered here. Please send a picture to email@example.com. Your name and the recipe name will be given full credit.
Jean M. from Bristol said “Because Christmas is right around the corner, I thought sharing this oldie-but-goodie – my lightened up Shepherd’s Pie, filled with lean ground beef, veggies, and topped with my skinny yukon gold mashed potatoes would be perfect for all you meat and potato lovers out there! This is so comforting and filling, it doesn’t taste light!”
- 1-1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, diced
- 3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced
- 10 oz frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, peas, green beans, baby lima beans)
- 2 tbsp flour (or use GF flour)
- 1 cup fat free beef broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- kosher salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes in a medium pot of salted water until cooked and soft.
- Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large saute pan brown meat over medium high heat, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste.
- When cooked, set aside on a plate.
- Add the oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms and celery and sauté on medium heat about 6 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the flour, frozen vegetables, beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, cooked meat and mix well. Simmer on low about 8-10 minutes.
- Spread the meat on the bottom of casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with paprika
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, then place under the broiler 1 to 2 minutes until the potatoes turn golden.
- Remove from oven and let it cool 5 minutes before serving.
The Roundup currently has over 5,700 subscriptions and a local social media following of over 95,000 readers across multiple social media sites, apps, pages, and groups.
The Roundup is also a proud member of WordPress. This affiliation offers readers more news from FOX 61 and CBS Connecticut on The Roundup.
Latest Stories From Roundup Partner : FOX 61
A young whale whose carcass washed up in the Philippines died of “dehydration and starvation” after consuming 40 kilograms (88 pounds) of plastic bags, scientists have found. Marine biologist and environmentalist Darrell Blatchley told CNN that the juvenile male Cuvier’s beaked whale was found “showing signs of being emaciated and dehydration” and had been “vomiting blood before it died.” Blatchley, who is president and founder of D’ Bone Collector Museum, a natural history museum in the Philippine city of Davao, […]
Alex Torres isn’t getting much sleep these days, “I have just had enough, I don’t feel comfortable sleeping at night,” he says. And his growing frustration led him looking for help. “I sent it out to all of the news organizations you guys (FOX61) were the only ones who contacted me back,” says Torres. Torres says in the past few weeks crooks have been creeping around his car looking to steel his wheels right from his Manchester driveway, a scene […]
Faith and senate leaders in Connecticut are uniting following the terrorist attacks in New Zealand. State Senator Saud Anwar organized the meeting at the Islamic Association of Greater Hartford to focus on shedding a positive light on the horrific mass shooting. “It’s important for everybody to have an outlet and know that they’re not alone,” said Anwar, “They need to know that all the faith communities and all the leadership of our state are united.” In attendance, were leaders including […]
WASHINGTON DC — Rep. Steve King, whose history of making racist remarks has recently come under scrutiny, shared a Facebook post over the weekend that boasts red states would “win” a fight against blue states — and that they have “8 trillion bullets.” “Wonder who would win…” the Iowa Republican wrote in a post Saturday, adding an emoji with a smirk. Attached to the post is a photo depicting Democratic-leaning states engaged in a fight with Republican-leaning states. The photo’s […]